- Department of Correctional Services
- Kokstad, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Scope of Services
- Planning and design of the security system and fence
- Compilation of tender documents
- Evaluation of tenders
- Supervision of construction
- First super maximum security prison in R.S.A.
- Integrated security system
- No lifts used
- Direct supervision and unit management
- Taut wire detection fence
Secelec was responsible in consortium with another consulting house for the design and project management for the integrated security system installed at this prison in Kokstad in Kwa-Zulu Natal. The work commenced in November 1997.
The capacity of the super maximum prison is 1440 inmates. This is the largest Super Maximum Security Prison in the world. The prison comprises 24 double storey housing units. Each housing unit houses 60 inmates. There is also an exercise yard for every 10 inmates. Apart from the housing units, it also comprised the following units Admission, Visitation, Hospital, Pre-integration and an Administration section. All the doors, cameras, security detection fence and intercom sub-systems in the facility are controlled by an Intelligent Distributed Electronic Addressable System that acts as a systems integrator for all the sub-security systems.
The facility also has two galvanized security perimeter fences around it, which are 2 km in length. The fences are spaced 6 meters apart with a camera placed every 50 meters and are monitored by means of a taught wire and short circuit detection system.