- Department of Correctional Services
- Baviaanspoort, Gauteng, South Africa
Scope of Services
- Planning and Design of the Security System
- Compilation of Tender Documents
- Evaluation of Tenders
- Supervision of Construction
- Second “Direct-Indirect Supervision Prison” in South Africa
- Integrated Security System
- Taut wire Security Detection Fence
Secelec was responsible for the design and project management for the integrated security system for the second direct-indirect supervision and the third new generation type prison in South Africa located in Baviaanspoort, Pretoria.
The capacity of the prison is 640 youth male inmates. The prison comprises 5 housing units and one admissions housing unit. Four housing unit houses for 128 inmates each and one housing units for 32 inmates. Apart from the housing units, it also comprise of the following units Admission, Visitation, Hospital, Counseling, kitchen, General stores, work shops and an Administration section. All the doors, cameras, officer event log, intercom and public address and security detection fence sub systems in the facility are controlled by an Intelligent Distributed Electronic Addressable System which integrates all the sub systems into an integrated security system. The movement of the doors is achieved by a pneumatic system.